Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
BU Library QuickLinks
Library Home Page
The home page of the John E. Robbins Library
BU Library Catalogue
Search the library catalog for books, journals, and online links
BU Journal List
The list of journals that Brandon University students and faculty have access to
BU Database List
The list of databases that Brandon University students and faculty have access to.
- You must have a current BU Library Card to sign out material.
- You are responsible for every item signed out on your card.
- You may not use someone else's card or allow anyone to use your card.
- Reference Books and Current Periodicals/Journals are for in-Library use only.
- Back issues of Periodicals are 1 week loans.
- Books are 4 week loans
- Most other stack items are 2 week loans.
- Reserve and Curriculum items - loan periods vary so be sure to check.
- Reserve = 2 items at a time.
- Periodicals = 5 items at a time; 2 of any one title.
- Stack Item = 5 items in each subject area
- As long as the item is not on hold (requested by another patron) you may renew it twice.
- You may renew by telephone during library hours (Main Circulation: 204-727-9646, 1-877-253-6765 or Music Circulation: 204-727-9630).
- There are no renewals for Reserve Materials.
- If an item you have signed out is put on hold by another patron, it must be returned by the due date.
- If you have a password for the library catalog, you can place your own holds and check your account. Ask at Circulation for information, or call Circulation (204-727-9646, 1-877-253-6765) if you are wishing to place a hold from your home computer.
- Use Inter-Library Loans if you would like to get hold of books or journal articles not in our collection. This service is available to the Students, Faculty and Staff of Brandon University. For information on costs and turn-around time, check with the ILL staff: 204- 727-7316.
- Reserve Materials must be signed out - even if you are using them in the library.
- Reserve Materials are listed on the library catalog and in a binder at the Circulation counter.
- For Information on how to search for Reserve Materials on the library catalog click HERE.
- Materials are fined on a per item, per day basis. The fee for books in the general collection is 50 Cents Per Day, Per Item.
- Reserve materials are fined by the hour. The fee for overdue Reserve items is $1.00 Per Hour, Per Item.
- If your fines reach $5.00, your borrowing privileges will be suspended. Your fines will be billed and transferred to the BU Business Office where payments must be made.
- If items are not returned, borrowing privileges are suspended. You will be billed for their replacement costs plus a billing fee. This bill is payable at the BU Business Office.
- Book return slots are available at Library entrances.
- There are no return slots on the outside of the building. Consequently, once the building is locked, nothing can be returned.
If you are not a Brandon University Student, Staff or Faculty Member
- You can borrow books from the John E. Robbins library.
- You can register for a library card either at Main Circulation or the Music library. You must provide a piece of ID with your current mailing address.
- You must have your current BU Library card whenever you wish to borrow material
- We will not ship library material directly to you. If you are at a distance and want to borrow BU Library material, you should contact your local library and have them arrange an interlibrary loan.